Last week, I tried Augmenting Algebra with Aurasma and it went just…okay. On several occasions, we found that the wrong answer popped up on the screen when the review cards were scanned. We could remove the card and try again and most of the time that resolved the issue; however the bigger problem stemmed from the way that the cards were created. I had made all of the question cards using the same font, identical backgrounds, and very similar layouts. The only variation on the review cards were the actual questions themselves. The difference was so slight, that the Aurasma app had a difficulty in distinguishing between the cards. Determined to make this work, I came home and revised the activity by adding variety to each card using shapes at different points along the border.
I uploaded the new images to Aurasma and we tried it again. Problem solved! Now, when the review cards are scanned the correct answer shows up every time! Since these are perfect for self-checking stations and the kids loved it, I will definitely do it again. To make it easier, I saved blank cards with the new border art as a template. Now, all I need to do is add the questions.